eLesson

Technology in the Child’s Hands…

Overview of Learning Sequence

The central focus of student learning which will be the main part of this learning sequence is the ability to put the technology into the child’s hands. Students will be experiencing the use of ICT in their own hands, not from a teacher directed point of view. This originally came from the idea of TPACK, a framework designed for teacher knowledge on technology integration called Technological, Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Using TPACK translates to what is being learned, how it’s being taught and using the appropriate tools to teach it. Through TPACK, we aim at transforming learning into an engaging digital future.

This sequence of lessons is aimed at Grade 4 students who are currently taking part in a History study about the First fleet. Throughout the lesson ICT is used to enhance learning through inquiry, creating, communicating and operating. Through the use of ICT, this ordinary History topic is transformed into a fun, engaging and motivating learning sequence which encourages all students to participate. Students are given the opportunity to experience what it was like in the times of the First Fleet. By using different learning strategies and tools, students experience real life learning which allows them to view different perspectives and gain a full understanding of the topic and what it is about.

Curriculum Links

History – Year 4

ICT is used throughout this lesson sequence to enhance the motivation and engagement of students. ICT is considered one of the seven general capabilities and should be implemented into all subjects. For this learning sequence, ICT is being integrated into the subject of History. Students will specifically be focusing on stories of the First Fleet. The following is the direct links to the Australian Curriculum;

Content Description:

Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival. (ACHHK079)

Elaborations:

-          Discussing reasons for the First Fleet journey, including an examination of the wide range of crimes punishable by transportation, and looking at the groups who were transported.

-          Discussing the treatment of prisoners at that time, and past and present views on the colonisation of Australia; investigating the daily lives and social standing of those who travelled to Australia on the First Fleet, including families, children and convict guards.

Demonstrated Australian Teacher Standards

At a graduate level the areas of teaching standards that will be covered throughout this learning sequence include; (2.2) Organise content into an effective learning and teaching sequence. (2.6) Implement teaching strategies for using ICT to expand curriculum learning opportunities for students. (3.4) Demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources, including ICT, that engage students in their learning. (4.1) Identify strategies to support inclusive student participation and engagement in classroom activities. (4.5) Demonstrate an understanding of the relevant issues and the strategies available to support the safe, responsible and ethical use of ICT in learning and teaching.

Lesson Sequence

Lesson 1

Students interact with the teacher and have discussions regarding the First Fleet. Students understand what the First Fleet is, when it happened and what it means to the people of Australia. Students watch a short film about the First Fleet which gives them perspective as to what it was like back in that time. Students create a learning blog about the First Fleet and reflect on it what they have learnt throughout the lesson. Students will continue to reflect after each history lesson about the First Fleet.

Lesson 2

Students explore different people who travelled on the first fleet, including families, children and convict guards and the role in which they played in this time. Students read letters which these people had written to the main land to gain an understanding of what experience was like onboard the ship. Students understand that their next task is to take on the role of one of these crew members to give their perspective of what life was like on the ship. Reflect on blog to demonstrate today’s learning and give opinions.

Lesson 3

Students decide which character they will be portraying from the ship (mother, father, child, convict guard, prisoner, etc.) and prepare for an interview as to what life is like for them aboard. Students understand that in the next lesson they will be moving into pairs and filming their interview about life aboard the ship. Students reflect in blog and explain which character they chose and why.

Lesson 4

Students move into pairs and prepare to film and interview each other about what life was like aboard the ship. Students are given a video camera, tripod and a variety of costumes to choose from which they believe best portrays their character. Students need to consider how they will act in the film. For example; will they be weak or strong? Happy or sad? Students individually film each other to ensure all students have a chance at filming and playing their part as they portray what life was like on the ship. Students reflect in blog about today’s learning and the quality of their video also giving justification to the decisions in their video.

Lesson 5

Students individually present their film to the class giving their justification as to why they portrayed their character the way they did. Students give each other constructive criticism about their video, as does the teacher.

Lesson 6

As a final lesson, students create a post card using Microsoft PowerPoint. Postcard must convey what they believe a post card would look like in the time of the First Fleet. On the postcard, students remain to portray their character and write to home how life is like onboard the ship. Students upload their postcard to their blog and also present it to the teacher as a final piece of assessment.

Assessment

Video; teacher assesses their presentation throughout the video including choice of costume and how they portray their character. Did they choose a suitable personality for their chosen character? Did they use good voice volume, pace and eye contact? Were their answers throughout the interview accurate for the character which they were trying to portray?

Postcard; teacher assesses the postcard as the final summative assessment piece. Did students use good choice of graphics? Did the postcard contain all elements which a postcard should have? Did they use correct letter format when writing their post card? Did they portray their character well throughout the writing of their post card?

Teacher also gives feedback about their blog and students are encouraged to show their parents their learning at home, through the use of their blog.

Reflection

Taking part in this ICT and pedagogy course has helped me to learn about not only how we use ICT in the classroom but why. I now know how to implement ICT effectively into my lessons instead of just using it as a game or research based orientation. This course has helped me develop the confidence in which I need to make use of ICT in my future teaching practices. The topic which this learning sequence and which my iVideo was based on is Technology in the student’s hands. I feel this sums up what I have learnt in this course and what I now need to incorporate into my own lessons. It is why I chose to include the components of ICT which I did into this learning sequence, I feel I have been successful in placing the technology into the child’s hands instead of a teacher dominating learning sequence. While creating this task, I could really feel myself teaching it in a classroom. I have learnt that with any learning sequence or subject, the use of ICT can make it not only fun and engaging for the students, but provides real life learning opportunities which encourages them to participate and allows for deeper learning opportunities. I will defiantly be making effective use of ICT in my future teaching practices and I look forward to providing students with these exciting opportunities.